Stonefish or rock fish belongs to the genus Synanceia, considered one of the most famous species of poisonous fish of the world, together with others escorpénidos, like the scorpion fish or Lion fish. There are different types of stonefish, but the best known are:
- Synanceia rough
- synanceia verrucosa
Before you decide to have this fish in your aquarium, you ask yourself that all types are highly poisonous. In nature, Easy view is almost impossible to recognize, as its Pure camouflage makes him very like a stone seabed, hence its name well-liked. They live on average between 8 Y 12 years, although specimens have been found with more than thirteen years. Usually withstand periods of up to 24 hours outside water, as they are stranded in the area or stones, and expect the tide to return to the water. Even though your body contains one of the most potent poisons of the world, too It has natural predators, like the tiger shark and white shark, the whales, orcas and sea snakes, who feed on the stonefish. Usually they trapped alive for marketing in aquariums around the world. In China, Philippines and Japan are coveted as delicacies and they are offered as a luxury dish, with prices very high.
The most obvious physical characteristic of stonefish is their appearance marine rock or coral. Other notable physical characteristics:
- Color: It varies by species and where they live. They can be red, gray, verdes, yellow, brown, and also in various shades of blue and white, his whole body is a contrast of all these colors.
- Skin: Has a hard skin and in their natural habitat is covered with algae and slime. To adhere to the skin coral and stones produces a viscous liquid.
- eyes: They are large and are placed at the front of the head, which facilitates be alert to hunt and will be on guard in case of attack of a predator.
- fins: They have several fins, dorsal, pectoral, anal and pelvic. The dorsal fin is provided with 13 barbed, anal has 3 and pelvic 2. All pins have venom glands.
Recently it was discovered that have a kind of saber tear on each cheek, you can pull out and retract at will. This new feature could bring about a reorganization in the classification of these animals.
Males are larger and more corpulent than females, head of greater proportion, and caudal peduncle, that is to say, the muscular part of the tail, It is smaller than in females. Another important difference is bands pectoral fins, females have 6 while those males have 10.
This species of fish It is considered one of the most poisonous in the world and their bites are the most feared by divers, With the bite of the Scorpion fish and the painful sting stingray. Its venom is so deadly as a cobra. Barbs lining their fins contain glands that inject venom that has neurotoxinas and cytotoxins. Stonefish not directly attacks man, and incidents usually happen by accident, when someone accidentally steps on a copy, to the confuse with a stone or rock. Cases have been reported in Australia and in certain coastal areas of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. Fortunately, There is an antidote, very effective if applied in time.
Distribution and habitat
- Easytest with 50 test strips water.
- Strips for analysis 6 important water values in 1 minute.
- nitrites (NO2) de zero a ten mg/l.
- Mide el pH de 6,four a 9,zero.
Different species of fish stone there They are spread all over the world, most of them with salt water, although there are species of stonefish that can live in freshwater. The horrida Synanceia inhabits the waters of the oceans and Pacific ndico ??, especially in northern Australia and the Malay Archipelago. It found in shallow reefs on the shores of the coast where it is common to find them. In the 2018 several specimens found near Australian beaches.
The optimal conditions must have an aquarium adapted to the stonefish, It must be handled with a water quality these parameters.
- It is recommended an aquarium with a minimum volume of 300 liters.
- Salinity must fall within the values of 15 Y 20 ppm.
- The minimum temperature of the aquarium should be 23 degrees and the maximum should not exceed 30 degrees Celsius.
- Refering to alkalinity, the optimum pH is between 7.0 y eight.0
- The hardness of water must be between 18 Y 25 GH.
The fund should preferably contain rocks and enviornment to make you feel comfortable. The aquarium should have a cover and an engine to oxygenate the water.
it is carnivorous, nocturnal, and his big mouth makes him catch minnows Their diet is mainly based on fish, crustaceans, mollusks and shrimp. In captivity They can feed on shrimp or small fish alive, but also they eat fish food for sale in specialized places.
Behavior and Compatibility
Stonefish It is very quiet, normally spends the day in almost whole tenure, usually camouflaged with rocks or below them. Rarely they are seen moving. They can remain motionless long, until the right moment to capture their prey. If you're going to put other fish in the same aquarium with stonefish, They must be of a larger size, as it is a predator and if they are smaller, their natural behavior will catch them for food.
It is poorly documented. During the months of February and March, Each female lays about a 20 thousand eggs on the rocks, then the male fertilizes semen spreading thereon. After hatch into fry, it stays with mother 3 or four months to protect.
In the first moment, almost everyone would dismiss the thought of having a copy of the Synanceia horrida, Nevertheless, stonefish is a good choice if you want to have a different and very authentic aquarium. To end, I remind you that nature always surprises us with his creations, how this strange and wonderful fish, we must preserve to maintain diversity of species in our seas, and feel proud of the world we will leave to future generations.
Pictures and images of the stonefish
- The article is easy to install and use. Fairly dirty things from the bottom of your aquarium effectively. Support two sizes of pipe…
- Siphon tube supplied. Caudal 520 liters per hour.
- With this tool, You can remove dirt from the bottom of your aquarium. Supplied with two sizes of suction tube, It is suitable for…
- It can also be used as a water trap to change the water, or to empty your aquarium when connecting a hose to the outlet.