Anubias They are one of the genera of plants aquarium easier to care, so that They are particularly suitable for beginners in the aquarium. One of the reasons that are perfect for beginners, is that They have a fairly slow growth, so you do not have to be aware of continually pruning. They are characterized by having leaves dark green color, very resistant to all kinds of diseases, to sudden changes in the parameters of the water and attack the inhabitants of the aquarium fishes. Are species that do not grow much. Some are ideal for the front of the aquarium, other better be in the middle. They grow between them 6 cms y 40 cms high.
Distribution and habitat
They are a genus belonging to the family of the Araceae, with originated in tropical Africa, specifically in the areas of Senegal, Angola and Zaire. In natural state they can be found growing at the edge of rivers, with its roots among the rocks and the remains of trunks. Not all plants of this genus are completely aquatic, some are semi aquatic, so do not admit to being completely submerged.
They are very hardy plants. Although they would be able to survive with different parameters that you'll offer, these would be the ideal parameters to grow healthy and strong:
- Temperature: between 22 ° and 28 ° C
- pH: between 5.5 Y 8
- Hardness of water gH: between 3 and 15
You can live in waters very soft, to moderately hard.
They do not need a specific lighting. They are plants that prefer low illumination, because in its natural state they live in the shadow. It will be enough to give lighting 0.50W / L (Watts per liter), basic lighting that receive if we buy a Aquarius kit, Fluorescent lights with. They can grow along with some floating plants, as duckweed, to sift part of direct light they receive.
Substrate and fertilizer
The substrate aquarium It does not have to be specific, even the best of the market. They are plants that take root in its natural state between stones and rocks, taking most of the foods that need water. They can be paid periodically with liquid fertilizers, Specific for aquarium plants, respectful of fish. No need to add additional CO2 For their develpment. If we add get faster growth, but they just get so that puree for aquarium fish.
They have a rhizome grows horizontally through the substrate. When we see new leaves appear, new plants can be obtained dividend rhizome. Once we have the new seedling, The we will hold it at the bottom of the aquarium with a thread, tied to a rock or a log. A little time will take root without any problems.
At our disposal in specialty stores we will find a good variety of Anubias. The most popular are:
- Anubia Barteri, variety barteri. Measures between 20 cms y 30 cms. Need little light, its leaves are sagitadas.
- Anubias Barteri, Nana variety. Measures between 12 cms y 15 cms high. It has dark green leaves, extending horizontally. You have to attach it to a rock.
- Anubias Afzelii. You can measure up to forty inches tall. Its leaves are green to dark green color moderate. Its growth is extremely slow, You can generate a sheet every two months.
- Anubias Congensis. In nature can measure up 50 cms, but in the aquarium does not usually exceed the 30 cms. Its leaves are wide, growth very, very slow, can sprout leaves three or four year.
- Anubias Gilleti. It grows to the 30 cms. It has a soft green leaves coloration, ovate and lanceolate.
- Anubias Gracilis. Does not exceed 30 cms. It is very easy to grow and maintain. It has a rosette-shaped rhizome, It is allowing multiplication easily.
- Anubias Heterophylla. It is about 40 cms and develops leaves polymorphous. curious.
- Anubias Lanceolata. We expect to reach the 30 cms high. Its leaves are lanceolate, dark green, robust and rigid. They are very undemanding.